I suggest you ...

The search finds every John when searching for John Doe.

The search function doesn't actually look for a first and last name combination. It just finds every occurence of the first name and every occurence of the surname that occur in the same document. This is useless.

97 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminAnonymous (Admin, World Vital Records) responded  · 

The search engine should function this way on all our databases. If you find one that doesn’t work this way, please send us a copy of the url you are viewing so we can fix it. For those databases that display images, we do highlight all the instances of both words, but the reason it appears as a hit is because both words appear together somewhere on the page.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • farrell.allen.familytreefarrell.allen.familytree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The search function returns way too many results. The admin response doesn't help much, because the problem seems to occur on every search. I don't have the time to send every url, nor do I have the time to wade through thousands of results, only to find out that none of them are what I was looking for.

• mudbrook2001mudbrook2001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrible design logic! Was this software designed in some country where given names were the primary identifier? Like Scandinavia where Larson, Nilsson, etc. were the appropriate naming conventions?

Feedback and Knowledge Base