Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Jim EricsonJim Ericson responded  · 

We have a new image viewer that has received excellent reviews that we continue to roll out on the site. We will keep you updated as more databases are available with this viewer.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • vrowlvrowl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a terrible time downloading and installing the viewer. I went to the lizardtech site as directed from vital records and was quite confused. I wasn't even sure what to download. I downloaded the browser plugin 3 times without success. I finally found some good instructions on how to download and install the djvu viewer on this website: http://www.familyrelatives.com/information/info_detail.php?id=40. Hope this helps someone. It has worked fine ever since.

• farrell.allen.familytreefarrell.allen.familytree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't particualrly care for either viewer. The one viewer is too small, doesn't allow for easy navigation and takes too long to load each page. The "enhanced" viewer is either too small or too big (WAY too wide - I have a 17 inch laptop and I have to scroll to the side to see the whole text!) and it takes too long to load each page.

• louisebooth2louisebooth2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Plugin doesn't work, and when I click on the link to use if no image I get a press release. I'm getting very frustrated!!!

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still cannot get the viewer to work. Footnote.com has one that works well. Take a look there.

• suebutterfieldpicardsuebutterfieldpicard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just went to work on newspapers...so glad I printed and downloaded many before you switched to this new viewer...it's bad! Takes to long to load. Print quality is bad. There is no option to download just a portion or even the whole page instead of printing...what's with that? FIX THIS!

• rlm952rlm952 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to the problems previously mentioned, the image quality is terrible. In the cases I have tried, the image cannot be read clearly. Highlighting of search words seems to be random, not over words in some cases. What are we paying for?

• ChrisPCChrisPC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no way this new viewer is an improvement. No abiltiy to save an image. Printing doesn't work properly and very slow even over a fast connection. Doesn't seem to work in Firefox. I just get a empty rectangle. I'm due to renew next month and would like to see an improvement before I have to make that decision.

• SusanSusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like the new viewer. It takes 1-2 minutes to load an image, and I am on a cable modem! It also takes over the browser, and I am unable to look at anything else until it finishes loading. Please find something else.

• radpaceAdminradpace (Admin, World Vital Records) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the feedback. The old viewer only allowed for printing of full images and many people only wanted a small portion of the image that related to them. We now know we need both sets of printing features and we are currently working on making these improvements.

• Benjamin HollisterBenjamin Hollister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The viewer seems to be just a viewer now, where before images could be saved and referred to later. While print to PDF works, it only allows the small portion to be "printed". This, to me, is a significant decline in usefulness.

Sorry!!!!

• lworrilowlworrilow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the option to use the viewer or not. When I'm away from my home computer using an air card on my laptop it can take much longer to load images.

Feedback and Knowledge Base